Unfortunately, some people take pleasure in inflicting pain, abuse, and humiliation on others.
This personality trait is called "sadism"; it derives from the name of the French philosopher and writer who first described it, Marquis de Sade.
Usually, the tendency to sadism increases in late adolescence and is more characteristic for boys than girls. High rates of sadism in adults significantly increase the risk of committing a crime and can also lead to issues in the relationship with a sexual partner and job challenges.
Sadistic tendencies test
The Varieties of Sadistic Tendencies (VAST) test was developed by Professor Paulhus, D. L. and allows you to quickly determine the level of your sadistic tendencies on two scales:
Direct sadism - cruel treatment, the tendency to aggression in order to humiliate another individual, restrict their freedom, and dominate them.
Vicarious sadism - the desire to watch how a person is being humiliated, is experiencing physical pain or moral torment. In this case, the observer is not the initiator of such actions.
Find out how strong your sadistic tendencies are with this free online test.
You will be offered 16 statements, evaluate how much you agree or disagree with each of them. Note this test is intended strictly for informational, educational and entertainment purposes; its results cannot replace the real help of a specialist and should not be used for making any decision.
1. In video games, I like the realistic blood spurts.
2. I sometimes replay my favorite scenes from gory slasher films.
3. I enjoy watching cage fighting (or MMA), where there is no escape.
4. I sometimes look away in horror movies. (R)
5. In car racing, it’s the accidents that I enjoy most.
6. There’s way too much violence in sports.
7. I love the YouTube clips of people fighting.
8. I enjoy physically hurting people.
9. I would never purposely humiliate someone.
10. I was purposely cruel to someone in high school.